Hello, Mike here with Mid-American Culture. Did you know that November was Senior Pet Month? Senior animals, any over the age of 7 years old are often deemed un-adoptable and are over looked for puppies and kittens. Senior Pet Month is about getting the word out about all the senior animals needing homes and to offer up suggestions to potential folks who are considering bringing a pet into their lives. Ideas that for example, a senior pet may actually be a better fit into a home due to already being housebroken and less veterinarian bills because seniors will already have all their shots. In Huntington W.V. a non-kill shelter exist and you can view animals that are available for adoption. It’s heartbreaking to see that many animals have lived their entire lives in a shelter waiting for home and an opportunity to be loved.
• 6.5 Million companion animals go into shelters every year in the U.S.
• Annually 1.5 million are euthanized.
• 3.2 Million shelter animals are adopted each year.
• 710,000 are strays never returned to their owners.
• 78 Million dogs and 85 million cats are owned in the U.S.
• Nearly 50% of owners learned about getting their pet through word of mouth.
If you are considering a pet please consider a senior pet and please consider a shelter animal and help give an animal a loving home.
Here are some websites taking a further look at adopting a Senior Pet.